Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Tahiti Blondies

The blondie saga continues......


When I baked the Helms Bakery Truck Blondies in my previous post I knew I had found the blondie for me. They were so chewy and so addictive. Then later that day I saw an episode of Throwdown with Bobby Flay and guess what this episode was about..... Blondies.


They featured Sugardaddy's Sumptuous Sweeties and they made this tropical blondie called Tahiti Blondie. Their blondie contained such luscious ingredients like coconut, cashews, white and dark chocolate and pineapple chunks. With ingredients like this I had to try and re-create it. You can see this clip on You Tube here Part 1 and Part 2.


I googled it to see if anyone had the recipe and I saw a lot of copy cat versions, I chose to follow this version as the ingredients and methods looked pretty similar to Sugardaddy's one. I did adapt the recipe a little to my liking. I found that while it was not as chewy as the Helms Blondie, it was definitely more exotic with its varied textures from the chewy coconut, the soft pineapple and the nutty cashews. It was like having a tropical vacation in your mouth.



Tahiti Blondie




 Ingredients

1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup ( 1 1/2 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup cashew nuts, chopped coarsely
1 cup flaked coconut
1 cup white chocolate chips
2 ounces semi sweet chocolate chunks, chopped coarsely ( I used the baking squares)
1/2 cup ( one 8 ounce can ) crushed pineapple, drained and pressed to remove as much liquids as possible.

Method
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
  2. Spray a 9x13 inch pan with  Bake Easy Spray and then line with parchment paper and then spray again.
  3. In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
  4. In another bowl beat the butter and brown sugar together until combined. Add the eggs and vanilla extract to the butter -sugar mixture and beat it for a minute next add the drained pineapple and coconut and beat it till all is combined.
  5. Add the dry ingredients  in two additions to the wet ingredients and do not over mix it.
  6. Gently stir in the nuts and the chocolate chips and pieces. Save some to sprinkle on top once you pour batter into baking pan (optional).
  7. Pour batter into the baking pan and smooth the tops with the spatula.
  8. Bake for 25-30 minutes until wooden pick inserted in the center of the blondie comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool in pan before cutting

No comments:

Post a Comment