Monday, December 6, 2010

Belgium Hot Chocolate


Nothing compares to a delicious heart-warming cup of hot chocolate on a cold day. This is a staple in our home come cold wintry days. I make a batch of this and store it in the fridge. Early in the morning when I come down to start my day I warm a cup of this heavenly concoction for myself. In fact getting out of bed seems easier on the days I know I have this waiting down in the fridge for me.

I adapted this recipe from David Lebovitz's site. He has some really good recipes and this hot chocolate is one of my favorite ones. He got this recipe from Wittamer, said to be one of the best chocolate shops in Brussels. They serve this in their posh tea salon. Thank you David for sharing this with us.

I used 2 bars of Valrhona's Le Noir Amer ( 71 % cacao, each 3.5 oz / 100 gm ) and 1 bar of Lindt's Classic Milk Chocolate ( 4.4 oz / 125gm ). Serve this with a dollop of sweetened whipped cream and some choclate shavings.





Serves 4

Ingredients

1 quart / 4 cups whole milk
7 oz / 230 gm bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, broken into small pieces
4.4 oz / 125 gm milk chocolate, broken into small pieces
a pinch of salt
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon OR one 3 inch cinnamon stick ( optional )
1/2 cup heavy cream
1-2 tbsp of confectioners sugar / icing sugar / pithi sakar


Method
  • Heat about 1/3 of the milk till it is very warm and to it add the chocolate pieces. The chocolate pieces will start to melt, stir it in till it is all melted.
  • Add the remaining milk and cinnamon stick ( if you are using that ) and heat it till it is warmed through. I generally keep it on low to medium heat ( electric stove settings ). Even though the chocolate is melted you will still see tiny pieces of chocolate suspended in the milk. If you are using cinnamon powder, now is the time to add it. Remove from heat.
  • Using a hand-held mixer or a whisk, beat it till the mixture is smooth, this will make the whole thing uniform. Remove the cinnamon stick ( if you were using that ) and pour the warm chocolate mixture in your cups.
  • Top with a dollop of whipped cream* and some chocolate shavings ( optional ). Enjoy while still warm
* Whipped Cream - whip 1/2 cup of heavy cream with 1-2 tbsp of confectioners sugar / icing sugar, till it forms stiff peaks.












No comments:

Post a Comment