Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Sindhi Kadhi


Another Sindhi influenced dish that we love and have adapted to be part of our menu repertoire. This delicious kadhi is a little spicy and a little tangy and is laden with vegetables which makes it quite nutritious too.

Since it is so cold outside, we tend to stay indoors a lot. I will not say winter is my favorite month, there are a lot of things that I do not like but I am going to list the things I do love about winter.  You see I am practicing being optimistic, so here goes. I love to watch the snow fall, I love the way my breath fogs up as I talk. I love cuddling next to lit fireplaces with a mug of hot chocolate in my hand. And I love big bowls of hot soups for lunch and hot dals and curries over rice for dinners. And last but not least I love how everything looks white and pristine the morning after a snow fall.





 
Serves 4

Ingredients

1 large potato, peeled and cubed
1 large carrot, peeled, cut into half longitudinally and the chopped into 1/4 inch pieces
6-8 lady fingers / okra, cut off the head and tail and chop into 1/2 inch pieces.
4 tbsp bengal gram flour / chickpea flour / besan
2 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp cumin seeds / jeera seeds
1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds / methi seeds
1/8 tsp asafoetida / hing
1 stalk of curry leaves  ( about 8-10 ), pluck the leaves, wash and pat dry
2 green chilies, cut of the stems and slit them into two
1 inch diameter by 1/8 inch thickness disc of ginger, peeled and finely minced
1/4 tsp turmeric powder /  haldi
1/4 - 1/2 tsp cayenne powder / lal mirchi powder
4 cups water
1/2 tsp tamarind concentrate OR 1-2 tbsp tamarind pulp
1/8 tsp sugar
salt, to taste



Method
  • In a small saucepan, dry roast the bengal gram flour for about 5-10 minutes on low heat till it changes to a light pinkish brown. Remove from heat and set aside.
  • In a large saucepan, heat the oil. When hot add the cumin seeds and fenugreek seeds to the oil. Let this splutter and change color like for 5 seconds, add the asafoetida, ginger, green chilies and curry leaves. Saute this for 2-3 minutes.
  • Now add the chopped okra, and saute this for another 5 minutes on medium heat. The carrots and potatoes go in next. Also add the turmeric powder and cayenne and saute all this for another 5 minutes.
  • Make a little slurry with the roasted bengal gram flour and 1/2 cup of water and add this to the vegetables. Also go ahead and pour the 4 cups of water, tamarind concentrate, sugar and salt in. Cover and cook on low heat for about 30-35 minutes or until the carrots and potatoes are thoroughly cooked. Before you take it off the stove, check for seasonings, adjust accordingly if needed. Take it off the stove and serve hot with a bowl of rice.









No comments:

Post a Comment