Friday, August 6, 2010

Avocado Salad with a twist

(Another Kiddie-Snack)

My son loves Avocados. In the middle he went through this unbelievable avocado phase where all he wanted was avocados for breakfast, lunch and dinner. So in addition to layering fresh avocado slices between tortillas and cheese or making grilled cheese and avocado sandwiches I came up with this guacamole like salad for him. He loved it and would tell me in the morning before going to preschool that "mommy make abocado salad for me when I get home".

Now the avocados, tomatoes, onions, lime juice and cilantro tasted just fine, but it lacked something texturally, something crunchy like the tortilla chips. As there was none at home I had to improvise and that is when I spotted a big box (Costco size) of Cheez-It ( mini cheese crackers) on the top of my fridge. All I can say is that it was a match made in kiddie-heaven (and adult heaven too ! ). Sprinkle some of the Cheez-it over your salad and have a fork ready at your side and you are good to go. If making for an adult you can also add  minced green chilies.





















Serves 2 or 1 large portion

Ingredients

1 avocado, halved, seeded, peeled and diced
2 medium sized tomatoes, diced
1/2 an onion, chopped finely
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped ( you can use less too)
1 tsp lime juice, freshly squeezed
salt, to taste
a big handful of cheez-it or any crackers available

Method
  1. Mix all the above ingredients in a medium sized bowl and add the cracker at the end. Enjoy your 'abocado' salad.








Note: Avocado, when cut, turns dark due to oxidation, so go ahead and squeeze that lime juice on it once you cut the avocados and it will keep its beautiful green color.

No comments:

Post a Comment