My sweet sis-in-law Shilpa gave me this recipe, she uses a different filling but the same concept. This recipe has been a winner in our family and both my son and my niece loves it. Not to mention that the adults love it too, and what's not to love the whole wheat rotis give them fibre, the spinach gives iron and the cheese gives protein and fat ( you can use low fat cheese too). You can also put some black beans in it about 1/4 cup cooked black beans or red kidney beans (rajmah), but I did not have any on hand today.
If you want to make the rotis please do follow the steps in my Aloo Paratha recipe, but omit the step for the filling. Just roll out the plain dough into an 8-10 inch diameter circle and lightly toast both sides.
2 whole wheat rotis / whole wheat tortillas
1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese, grated
1/2 cup Colby jack cheese, grated. ( You can use any cheese of your choice, even cheddar will do)
1/2 cup spinach, finely chopped
1/4 cup red onions, finely chopped
a sprinkle of red chili powder and black pepper powder (optional)
1 tbsp vegetable oil, for toasting
salt to taste
- If you are making rotis, have them lightly toasted first. Do not cook them thoroughly, as they will have time to cook later on. Keep all the ingredients ready as you will have to move fast once you start assembling the quesadilla.
- Generously oil one side of the roti / tortilla and place it oil side down on a medium low tawa / gridle.
- On the side facing up first sprinkle the Colby jack cheese, the on top of it sprinkle your onions, red chili powder, black pepper powder and salt.
- Next layer it with the chopped spinach and the Mozzarella cheese.
- Top it all with the other roti / tortilla and press it down with the back of your spatula. Generously oil the top of the roti / tortilla.
- Flip the quesadilla so as to toast the other side. We want it to get golden brown and even a little crunchy but not burnt.
- Once both sides are toasted, remove from heat, cut it into wedges and serve with salsa and sour cream or just plain for those who prefer it like that.
Keep all the ingredients ready.
Layer the cheese, onions, salt, red chili powder (optional), black pepper powder and spinach on the bottom roti / tortilla.
Lastly top with the Mozzarella cheese.
Cover it all with the second roti / tortilla. Toast both sides thoroughly.